More about Tag Heuer Watches
TAG Heuer began as Uhrenmanufaktur Heuer AG, founded in 1860 by Edouard Heuer in St-Imier, Switzerland, the company, therefore, has Swiss Watch making expertise embedded into its roots. TAG Group (Techniques d'Avant Garde Holdings) S.A purchased the company in 1985, and went on to become known as TAG Heuer. Edouard Heuer patented his first chronograph watches in 1882, and in 1887 patented an 'oscillating pinion' which is a feature still used by major watch makers of mechanical chronographs. In 1911, Heuer received a patent for the "Time of Trip", the first dashboard chronograph watch which was designed for use in automobiles and aircraft featuring two large hands mounted from the center pinion of the watch to indicate the time of day, as on a traditional clock, and a small pair of hands, mounted on the top of the dial at the 12 o'clock position of the watch indicates the duration of a given trip, this could be measured up to 12 hours. Heuer introduced its first wrist watch chronograph in 1914 with a crown at the 12 o'clock position of the watches, as these were the first wrist watch chronographs adapted from pocket chronographs. In 1933, Heuer introduced the "Autavia" line of watches as a dashboard timer used for automobiles and aviation. The companion watch that was introduced by Heuer was the "Hervue" watch; a clock that could run for eight days without being wound. Over the period from 1935 through the early 1940s, Heuer manufactured chronograph watches for pilots in the Luftwaffe, known as "Flieger" (pilots) chronograph watches. In the mid-1940s, Heuer expanded its line of chronograph watches to include both two- and three-register models, as well as a three-register chronograph watch that included a full calendar function featuring a day, date, month complication on the watch. In the early 1950s, Heuer produced watches for the American retailer Abercrombie & Fitch. Models from this collaboration included "Seafarer" watch which had special dials with blue, green and yellow patterns displaying the high and low tides. This dial of the watch could also be used to track the phases of the moon. The "Auto-Graph" watch was produced in 1953 and 1954 and featured an automatic tachymeter scale on the dial with a hand that could be preset to a specific point on the scale of the watch. This watch feature allowed a rally driver or navigator to determine whether the car was achieving the desired pace over a measured mile. From the 1950's to the 1970's Heuer was popular watches among automobile racers, both professional and amateur. Special versions of Heuer chronograph watches were produced with logos of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, as well as the names or logos of racing teams or sponsors on the watch. In 1962, Heuer became the one of first Swiss watches in space when John Glenn wore a Heuer stop watch when he piloted the Mercury-Atlas 6 spacecraft on the first US manned space flight to orbit the Earth. The Autavia chronograph watch was also introduced in 1962 and featured a rotating bezel, marked in either hours, minutes, decimal minutes (1/100th-minute increments) or with a tachymeter scale. The Carrera chronograph watch, designed by Jack Heuer, was introduced in 1963. The Carrera watch had a very simple design, with only the registers and applied markers on the dial of these automatic watches. The fixed inner bezel is divided into 1/5 second increments on the watch. In the 1960's Carrera watches by Tag Heuer were available with a variety of dials, including all-white, all-black, white registers on a black dial, and black registers on a black dial. In the mid-1960s, Heuer partnered with Breitling and Hamilton to introduce an automatic chronograph watch. The first automatic chronographs watches to be produced by Heuer were the Autavia, Carrera and Monaco automatic chronograph watch. The winding crown was on the left of the watch with the pushers for the automatic chronograph on the right. In the early 1970s, Heuer expanded its line of automatic chronograph watches to include the Daytona, Montreal, Silverstone, Calculator, Monza and Jarama automatic chronograph watch models, all powered by the automatic Caliber 11 movement. In 1975, Heuer introduced the Chronosplit watch, a digital chronograph watch with dual LED and LCD displays. TAG Heuer was formed in 1985 when TAG (Techniques d'Avant Garde) who manufacturers of high-tech items such as ceramic turbochargers for Formula One cars acquired Heuer. In 2010, TAG Heuer introduced the 'Pendulum Concept' the first magnetic oscillator without a hairspring capable of providing restoring torque. In 2013, TAG Heuer celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Carrera, the racing-inspired Chronograph that forms a key part of the TAG Heuer watch family today. There have been ten generations of Carrera since its introduction, and models launched in every decade since 1963.
+ Read More